Service Description: Resources
Why use an external source for testing?
There are three main reasons why many clients choose to involve a third party to assist them in testing:
- To impart independent expertise and advice to the business. This normally takes the form of assisting in risk evaluation and mitigation, test leadership and support of stakeholders to assist their decision-making.
- To supplement the experience of the client’s team. This is particularly appropriate when there are new technologies involved.
- To supplement the resources available in-house. Testing is an obvious function to outsource, since it benefits from independence.
How can Gerrard Consulting help?
All IT project development plans include a number of testing steps, many of which are on the critical path of the project. Testing specialists, independent from the developers, should perform these tasks to gain the maximum risk mitigation.
Typically, these tasks include:
- Preparation of the overall Test Strategy and a Test Plan
- Test Automation Plan
- Configuration of the Test Environment
- Selection and installation of proprietary or open source testing tools
- Training of testers (e.g. user testing, advanced test techniques, test tools etc.)
- Acceptance testing of a Build
- Systems testing
- Performance, usability, accessibility, security and other non-functional testing
- User Acceptance Testing
- Integration testing
- Testing of the migration of data between builds
- and so on
First and foremost, Gerrard Consulting brings a goal-oriented, stakeholder-obsessed, proven methodology for creating a test strategy quickly, taking into account the project’s schedule and budgetary constraints. Test strategies always include a clear definition of scope, priorities an approach.
We assign trained experienced resources such as test architects, test managers, tool specialists, security and performance specialists when required, as well as the more traditional teams of systems testers and help for the user testing team. A managed testing approach ensures that the testing is done efficiently and effectively.
Why Choose Gerrard Consulting?
- We have a long record of accomplishment in software testing. Our flexible approach, huge experience and know-how allows us to define effective test strategies remarkably quickly.
- Amongst the software testing companies, we uniquely combine a leading-edge consultancy practice, with the provision of managed teams.
- We are flexible in responding to changing project plans in a dynamic project environment. Most projects are under extreme pressure to deliver in tight and often unrealistic schedules. We are pragmatic and are sensitive to the needs of stakeholders, project management, users and developers.
- We have partnerships with the major test tool vendors and other specialist test resources such as for security testing and for remote portal-based performance testing.
- We are independent from the vendor or software developer’s testing teams, e.g., ‘we are not marking our own homework’.
Why does it work?
The measure of success of this service is that the right resources are available at the right time. An additional benefit is that the service frees up senior testing resources from recruiting activities (reviewing CVs, interviewing, taking calls from agencies). This is particularly valuable at project start-up when these activities can occupy a significant portion of the test manager’s time.
As well as providing dedicated testing resources, with a managed team approach, Gerrard Consulting will provide advice and support to help clients over any particular problem or resource demand.
The team is managed using ‘best testing practice’, and even when we are called in after a test strategy has been set, we will make suggestions for improvement if we believe that testing can be done more effectively if a change of practice is adopted.
Contact us and we'll arrange to meet you to explain how we can help.
The UK TMF
|Gerrard Consulting founded the UK Test Management Forum in January 2004. Over 2500 delegates have attended the quarterly sessions.
The Forums provide lively debate between practitioners, consultants and vendors and cover both Test Management and Technical Testing topics.
Recent Blog Posts
- Agile Governance
- Testers Question Time 1 11/06/2013
- How to Eliminate Manual Feature Checking
- Will the Test Leaders Stand Up?
- Continuous Delivery of Long Term requirements
- Top 10 Books for Testers
- Story Based Acceptance Test Automation Using Free Tools
- Story Based Testing and Automation
- New Tutorial: Test Strategy in a Day
- Live Specifications: From Requirements to Automated Tests and Back
Business Story Pocketbook
The Business Story Method is supported by and largely documented in a book called "The Business Story Pocketbook" which is available for FREE DOWNLOAD or can be purchased from Gerrard Consulting (or other good booksellers).
The Business Story Pocketbook
Testing Axioms and Pocketbook
The Testing Axioms identify the critical thinking processes for testing. As a set of context-neutral rules they also provide a universal testing framework.